I am not eating many grains so I am limiting my consumption of breads, pastas, and rices, as well as staying away from white potatoes. That means I am attempting to be as crafty as possible when it comes to carb-infused and starchy foods. Cue the riced cauliflower, zucchini noodles, and sweet potatoes!
This particular recipe caused some hesitation with me. I love buffalo chicken and I love sweet potatoes, but I am not a fan of mixed foods. (I’m that person who cannot have her food touch. I even have a special separating tray at my aunt’s house to use at holiday gatherings. Ha!) So contemplating eating this slow cooker buffalo chicken inside a sweet potato had me debating my life choices.
Then I tried a bite and my world changed.
This recipe is unbelievably tasty. The spiciness from the hot sauce and the sweetness of the potato make for a dynamite flavor! G and I already looking forward to the next time this little dish is made for dinner.
The original recipe can be found on Well Plated’s blog. Using the concept of the meal, I modified a few steps and changed/added/subtracted some ingredients to create my own version though. I found mine to be easier and less time-consuming than the original as well.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
A great dish to double for a larger group, or keep it all to yourself.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 cup hot sauce (I prefer Frank’s)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- garlic powder, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 4 sweet potatoes
- chopped green onions for garnish
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot
- Pour hot sauce, honey, and olive oil over the chicken, and season with spices to liking
- Cook chicken covered on low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked thoroughly
- When chicken is complete, bake your sweet potatoes (I’m all about that potato button on the microwave…)
- Shred the chicken using two forks while potatoes bake
- Split open sweet potatoes and fluff the insides with a fork
- “Stuff” the potatoes by spooning shredded chicken on top
- Garnish with green onions
- Serve immediately with ranch or blue cheese
Well Plated has a fantastic blue cheese yogurt topping that goes along with their recipe which I highly recommend.